Friday, December 26, 2014

HOW TO CAN SALSA

canning-tomatoes116 Homemade Salsa Recipes & Canning Tips 16 Comments  
Here’s a nice mix of recipes for salsa that use garden fresh tomatoes and ingredients while others use canned tomatoes. I also added a few resources at the bottom that are packed with info and safety tips for canning.

*Note: Descriptions below are quotes from the sources

Canning Jar With Freshly Chopped Tomatoes From The Garden

MORE RECIPES ON HFNTV
  1. Garden Salsa Recipe: I grow almost all of these ingredients in my garden. This recipe makes a large batch, but it’s always gone in no time. Recipe from Taste Of Home.
  2. Canning Recipe: Canning salsa is a lot of work, no question about it. However, the results are excellent, and I love being able to dig into a bowl of summery salsa in the middle of the winter. Recipe from Seasonal Ontario Food.
  3. The Best Recipe for Canning: We use this salsa in place of rotel for a cheese dip, also added to mashed avocados with lime juice for guacamole and my hispanic friends like to eat it on rice. And of course, it’s used as a dip for tortilla chips or topping on other Mexican dishes. Recipe found at Belle Adorn.
  4. Spicy Version: Let me also tell you that we like things spicy, so this recipe it not for someone that likes things on the mild side. However, the recipe can be adapted by decreasing the amount of spicy ingredients you add. In my opinion this is one of the best salsas I have tasted and reminds of the salsa you get at really great Mexican restaurants…not to mention it is definitely far better than the bottled versions at the grocery store. Recipe found at My Baking Addiction.
  5. Homemade Traditional Style (Canning Recipe): You can adjust the “hotness” of it by adding more jalapeno peppers. Recipe found at The Bryant Family News.
  6. Bryanna’s Homemade Version: This is the excellent tomato salsa recipe I have made over and over again. Recipe found at Cotton Picker Cooking.
  7. My Favorite Salsa Ever: The texture is somewhere between chunky and thin. There are lots of small pieces of veggies suspended in the liquid base. I think what makes this really fantastic is the fresh and spicy flavor, similar to pico de gallo. Now I keep a batch in the fridge at all times. Recipe found at Annie’s Eats.
  8. Homemade Salsa and Canning Tips: My dh and I think it tastes a lot like the salsa at Carlos O’ Kelly’s, a popular Mexican restaurant here in the midwest. Found at Home Steeped Hope.
  9. Roasted Tomato Salsa: It’s a variation on the salsa that I’ve made a bajillion times: a make-over, if you will. Instead of combining raw tomatoes, garlic and peppers as usual, I’ve roasted them here, which deepens their flavors and, in this case, compensated for the rather sad roma tomatoes I was stuck with. And then, instead of chopping the veggies, I briefly whizzed them in the food processor. Found at The Kitchen Sink Recipes.
  10. Homemade Salsa: This recipe came from my Granny C, literally she told me over the phone and I have it scribbled down on a scrap piece of paper, but I haven’t misplaced it because it is the best homemade cooked salsa I have ever eaten. Trust me that’s saying something. I live in Texas and eat Mexican food at least 1 time a week, seriously I know my salsa. Recipe found at Newlyweds!
  11. Canning Salsa with Garden Tomatoes: These ingredients will create a mild to medium salsa. It has a sweet beginning, but the more it sits in your mouth, you’ll feel a slight heat. Simply adjust the heat by adjusting the amount and types of chilis. Recipe found at Real Life.
  12. Homemade Salsa (Canned & Fresh OK): For those of you who are new to making salsa or blanching tomatoes…you’re in luck! I just made a batch of salsa today, and I took pictures so I can give you the play-by-play. Recipe found at Call Her Blessed.
  13. Super Fast Blender Salsa: Buy up cases of tomatoes when they go on sale. If you can’t find cheap tomatoes with jalapenos, buy a jalapeno separately and use plain diced tomatoes. A lemon can swap in for the lime also. Use up some of the tender cilantro stems to save extra money here. Recipe found at Prudence Pennywise.
  14. Tomatillo Salsa (Canning): This salsa smells impossibly sour while you’re cooking it down, but fret not… all will be well when the simmering is done. Don’t be tempted to skimp on the acids; they’re necessary for safely preserving this naturally low-acid food. Recipe found at Married…With Dinner.
  15. Salsa Roja (roasted red salsa): And people, this salsa. PEOPLE. With a lifetime of tasting, sampling, and gorging research on salsa, I have never in my life had salsa this good. Recipe found at One Particular Kitchen.
  16. Roasted Yellow Tomato Salsa Recipe with Cilantro: If you cannot find these tiny heirloom yellow tomatoes, any grape or cherry tomatoes will do. The roasting coaxes fresh tomato salsa from bright and acidic into complex, subtle and sweet. If you don’t care for cilantro, try using basil instead, and serve this salsa as a bruschetta on toasted gluten-free bread rubbed with a clove of fresh garlic. Recipe found at Karina’s Kitchen.
Tips For Canning

No comments:

Post a Comment